I've never been so bombarded with recipe ideas from blogs, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter. Usually I just blink through them because of ingredients overload, but my coworker Cheryl who is trying to lose weight has been sending healthy recipes to my inbox asking if they look ok. This one for "eggrolls" caught my eye because as a kid I was obsessed with these crispy appetizers. My Dad was very involved with our Chinese community and restaurant owners would send him home with food including bags of eggrolls. I stopped eating them when I realized how many calories they were pumping into me—or maybe it was that I was eating 2-3 in a sitting!
This recipe comes from Skinny Body Care, a company that sells supplements but has a Facebook page that showcases some pretty good-looking recipes. I adapted it to use ingredients already in my kitchen and changed the ratios slightly, but I was most interested to see if baking the tortilla would crisp up like an eggroll wrapper.
The verdict: the flavors were delicious and the tortilla did crisp slightly because of the olive oil brushed on the outside (not as much as a deep-fried version of course, but not too bad!). The original recipe used white flour tortillas, which are lighter and may have crisped up even more. I love that this recipe is a super nutrient-dense complete meal in one roll. I made the full batch of filling but only prepared two rolls. I refrigerated the remaining filling so I could roll each one as needed for later meals to ensure crispness. You could also skip the tortillas and serve the chicken bean mixture over brown rice or quinoa. Definitely a keeper recipe...thanks Cheryl!
Southwestern "Eggrolls" (makes 4-5 rolls)
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
1 cup salsa
1 small red onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup seasoned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups baby spinach
1 T cumin
2 t chili powder
1 t pepper
4-5 whole wheat tortillas
Shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1-2 T olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken and salsa for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring often. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add corn, black beans, spinach, cumin, chili powder and pepper and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- Place about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, then roll up like a burrito. Brush each side with olive oil and place on baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping once, until crispy.